Visa information to travel to Mexico
Please be aware that visa requirements are subject to change at any time. You are advised to check the latest up-to-date with your consulate before you travel.
Tourists and business visitors are entitled to stay in Mexico for a total of 180 days, whereas visitors in transit are limited to a maximum of 30 days. Nationals from the following list of countries and territories do not require a visa to enter Mexico as a tourist, or visitor in business or transit.
- North America: Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United States.
- South America: Argentina, Brazil*, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
- Asia: Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, Macau, Malaysia, and Singapore.
- Europe: All EU member states plus Andorra, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Russia* and Ukraine*.
*Note: Brazil, Russia, and Ukraine must apply for electronic authorization.
On arrival in Mexico, you will be issued a Mexican Tourist Card, where you must state you do not intend to overstay past the 180-day limit. The form is included in your airfare and must be completed on arrival.
For those nations that require a visa you will need to submit the following documents with your application form:
- A passport with a minimum of six months’ validity after your date of entry.
- A passport-sized photo.
- Original return ticket.
- A fee (cash only).
- Proof of sufficient funds that will cover the cost of your trip.
- Postal applications must include a cover letter detailing your purpose of travel.
- A valid passport or travel document, proof of enrollment letter, and acceptance for the educational establishment you intend to attend, including level and duration of study as well as proof of sufficient funds to cover the cost of your trip.
- A student visa is valid for one year and a tourist visa/card is valid for 6 months (180 days).
- The average time to issue a visa is up to three weeks, depending on your nationality.
- The cost of your visa will depend on your nationality but the current range is between $17 - $30.
- If you wish to extend your tourist visa, you must visit any National Institute of Migration office to apply.